Several mainstream processor applications require ever increasing levels of act to handle higher data rates, media services and new features. Since the demand of the consumer is the main driver for developing the product. Reducing the cost of end products is the biggest challenge for the manufacturers. There are numerous examples of applications that demand the qualities of efficient and low cost performance: connected mobile computer other handy devices like PDAs, cell phones, set top box applications, games consoles.These processors are specifically used in portable devices like digital cameras, mobile phones, home networking modules and wireless communication technologies and other embedded systems projects due to the benefits, such as low power consumption, reasonable performance, etc. Buyers don’t expect long life battery for portable products. Every manufacturer must provide a processor with an extra features and performance more efficiently than before. So, ARM cortex A9 processor is the best, largest and highest performs processor.
ARM Cortex A9 Processor
The ARM cortex A9 processor is introduced in the year 2008 and it is a 32-bit multi-core processor, that delivers excellent levels of performance and power efficiency. This processor is the most popular choice for cost sensitive, thermally coupled and low power devices like smart phones, digital TVs. Compared to the ARM7 and ARM8 core, this processor can attain executed per clock cycle at 2.50 DMIPS/MHz and also offers an overall performance enhancement.ARM cortex A9 processors are designed around the most innovative, high efficiency, dynamic length, The main advantages of arm cortex A9 processor are, it offers comprehensive integration, software and hardware enablement. This processor delivers excellent capabilities for less power than used by high performance computing platforms.
ARM Cortex A9 Processor Architecture
It is a 32 bit chip that supports 40 bit physical addressing and multiple power domains hardware level virtualization and several new instructions to the ARM. This L1 cache is twice as wide 128-bit. ARM Cortex-A9 can decode two instructions per clock cycle and it can issue four micro-ops per cycle.
ARM development boards are the ideal platform for accelerating the development and reducing an optimal solution in terms of accuracy, speed, cost and flexibility. This ARM Cortex-A9 processor is a popular general purpose choice for low-power and cost-sensitive devices.
It is a mature option having been introduced and remains a very popular choice in digital TV, smartphones and both consumer and enterprise applications enabling the Internet of Things. A single processor solution Cortex-A9 processor offers an overall performance enhancement of above 50% compared to ARM Cortex-A8 solutions.
ARM Cortex A9 Functionality
This Cortex-A9 processor is available with a range of supporting ARM. Its physical IP is available to support a synthesizable flow optimized for lowest power or higher efficiency. The choice of hard-macros reducing risk and shortening time-to-market. ARM Graphics IP like Mal T624 and ARM System IP such as CoreLink NIC-400/301 network interconnect and CoreLink DMC-342 dynamic memory controller allow a rapid system design.
The ARM Cortex A9 processor is the most power-efficient and a popular choice in high performance and low power or thermally constrained cost sensitive. The configurability and flexibility of Cortex-A9 allow it to scale across a wide variety of markets and applications. The applications for ARM Cortex A9 ranges from mobile handsets through to high-performance consumer and enterprise products.
Leading SOCs available in the market that have implemented the Cortex A9 core includes Texas Instruments OMAP4 and Apple A5, AM1x processors, A5X, Renesas Electronics EMMA Mobile/EV2, Freescale MX6, Altera SoC FPGA, Xilinx Extensible Processing Platform, Samsung Exynos 4210, 4412, 4212.
Features Of ARM Cortex A9
Each processor includes the following
- High-efficiency, dual-issue superscalar pipeline.
- Single and double precision floating point unit.
- 32 KB instruction and 32 KB data caches.
- Coherence cache for enhanced inter processor communication.
- Management Unit for memory with TrustZone security technology.
- Thumb2 technology for enhanced performance, code density, and power efficiency.
- Architecture extensions for accelerating Java Virtual Machine.
- Trace Macrocell for programmer full visibility of processor instruction flow.
- A coherency acceleration port that extends coherent memory access beyond the CPUs.
- Generic interrupt controller.
- 32 bit general purpose timer.
- Watchdog timer.
Design Services of the ARM Cortex A9
Form factor design and development in
- RF, Wireless, Mixed signal and High-speed digital.
- Battery-powered designs.
- Audio and Video.
OS porting to custom hardware
- Embedded Linux.
- Windows Embedded.
- Firmware, Middleware and embedded application development.
- Device integration and related driver development.
- Android customization and private market support.
- Field update and over the air update.
- Codecs integration and third party IP to a custom design.
- Handle ecosystem concept to deployment.
- Integration, verification , and validation in design.
Systems Executed on the ARM Cortex A9 Platform
- BSP development and Gingerbread Android support for high-security.
- Hardware Design, Linux BSP and Android design services.
- Porting of high end multimedia algorithms from x86 Windows platform for ARM OMAP4 Linux platform.
- Development and integration of Linux Audio driver for the AIC3110 Audio Codec Chipset on the OMAP4 based EBook Reader.
- Porting of Linux BSP and Android ICS and integrating functional peripherals into framework of OMAP4 based handheld device for visually impaired.
- Head mounted and voice activated
- Wireless Audio Streaming demonstrator for supporting Apple Devices on MX6 platform in Android ICS Environment.
- Porting and bring up of Angstrom Open Embedded port on MX6 platform.
An addition to the right levels of performance ARM Cortex A9 portfolio also incorporates the right levels of peripheral integration to support the needs of a variety of markets. By using Cortex A9 device manufacturers have the ability to scale from cost optimized solutions for highly integrated performance-focused implementation with a single processor. This ARM Cortex-A9 application range of mobile data terminals to high-performance consumer and enterprise products.
why and how the instruction set is coined as THUMB..? if you got idea comment below
ARM Cortex A9 Processor Architecture by arm
ARM Cortex A9 Functionality by automation-drive
Enhanced Inter Processor Communication by cdn.cultofmac
ARM in RF Readers by media1
Android Customization and Private market support Through ARM by lh4
Embedded Device with Micro Display by medicaldevice-network