Hard water comes from different resources, that may include dissolved minerals like sodium, calcium and magnesium, etc. Hard water causes many problems due to the presence of these minerals. Hard water becomes unfriendly for domestic applications in our home such as bathing, washing clothes, etc. There are several methods which have been found to be effective for converting from hard water to soft water, such as applying reverse osmosis, distillation and using chemicals like sodium, caustic soda, etc.
Water Softener System Circuit
Hard water consumes a high absorption of minerals, and of these dissolved minerals are the most difficult. To overcome this problem, there is one solution coming in the form of a low cost do-It-yourself water softener system designed with the 555 IC timer. Actually, the cost of this DIY system is very low.
The working principle of this system is based on a theory, that states that an electric field or electromagnetic field causes small crystals of calcium carbonate in the water to form larger crystals. One of the techniques to achieve a strong magnetic field is to place a powerful 2.5 Gauss magnet near the water pipe. Similarly an another method is the electronic one.
If the water pipe is plastic, then connect both the open ends of the coil with a copper wire, or if it is metallic, then connect both the ends of the coils to the pipe. The circuit configuration of the water softener power indicator is shown above. Imagine the values of the coils like L1 has 9 turns and L2 has 7 turns.
Thus, the 555 timer IC in the water softener system is used to attain a rectangular signal that is applied to the water pipe by covering two coils with one open ending around it. The L1 and L2 coils must have good isolation and power supply of the water softener can be given from an isolated power supply. Because in some places the water pipes are connected to ground.
Types of Water Softeners
There are various types of water softeners are available in the market, but some of them are non electric, meter water, time clock, etc.
Non Electric Water Softener
The power supply of the non electric water softener can be powered by the pressure of an incoming water. This system doesn’t need a power supply, very simple to install and consumes less power. These softeners tend not to have fiddle controls, adding salt is all that is needed to keep them to run smoothly. The twin type water tank offers endless unlimited softened water to your home seven days per week and 24hrs a day. Non electric water softeners are more reliable and longer lasting.
Metered Water Softener
The most reasonable softener when it emanates to using salt and regeneration water. A metered softener will only regenerate when a specific volume of softened water has been used irrespective of the number of days this takes. This avoids over or under renewing of the softener when your water demand differs. Again the capacity of softened water is calculated by the rigidity of your water supply, the volume of the water softener and the number of persons on the property.
Time Clock Water Softener
The basic water softeners work on a time based and it is fixed to carry out its regeneration on fixed days. This is usually calculated by the rigidity of your water supply, the capacity of the water softener and a number of people in the property. When the system is installed, the softener of the system is set to reproduce at usually 2.00 a.m at the computed regeneration frequency. To confirm that soft water is always obtainable, the rest between regeneration’s will be under expected rather than over estimated.
The softener will then regenerate at this fixed interval nevertheless of the capacity of water used. If the usage of the water is low, for example, one or more of the residence is away, there will be vacant softened water capacity at the time of restoration, which can be argued as are dundant waste of salt ®eneration water. Likewise, if there is a growth in your water usage, the capacity of the softened water will be exceeded and the water would go rigid towards the end of the cycle before the next regeneration. If you are going to be left from the property on holiday, and there will be no flow of water through the softener it is advisable that it is switched off until you return.
Tips for Buying & Leasing of Softener
- Leasing is frequently the best option for water softeners because, there are no significant upfront costs. Based on the level of materials and service the company offers, you can pay some amount per month.
- Go through the quotes and be sure those quotes are based on accurately the same kind of considerations: level of service, type of controls, regeneration cycle, and assurance.
- Find out for a plumber whether you will need an installation. And be sure to pay attention to the monthly fee for maintaining the softener.
- Some water softener firms give a service where they frequently exchange exhausted with charged units. This kind of service is a good for where waste water from sewers is used for municipal watering because sodium may be considered a contaminant.
- Also look for guarantees. NSF International is a self-governing testing organization that experiments and certifies the products for water treatment. The water industry’s certifies equipment, so look for the WQA Gold Seal. An important step toward ensuring that the product you buy will offer years of free service.
- Several factors must be taken during the design of a water softener system. The applications of these softeners mainly involve in a wide variety of applications such as industries: power plants, refineries, food processing, cooling towers, hospitals, boiler feed, etc.
Thus, this is all about water softener system circuit, its types and applications. We hope that you have got a better understanding of this concept. Furthermore, any doubts regarding this concept or electrical and electronics projects for engineering students, please give your feedback by commenting in the comment section below. Here is a question for you, what is the main function of a water softener system?
- Non Electric Water Softenerfountainsofteners
- Metered Water Softenerebaths
- Time Clock Water Softener1800purewater
- Water Softener wlimg